Skip to main content

2.1: Inside the Fellowship: Meetings

Every thing possible to be believ’d is an image of truth. —William Blake

In my early days in the Fellowship there were up to twenty members in the London Centre, and new students came and went fairly often. I attended meetings about once a week, which were held in what was called ‘The Teaching House,’ a rented house in a pleasant suburb of London. The rent was partly paid by students who lived there and partly by contributions from other London members. 

We sat around the room usually in a circle and there would be a vase of flowers placed in the centre of the room. Someone would lead the meeting, usually supported by another student who might or might not say anything. There would be a Work topic, and meeting leaders had a free choice as to what they would talk about, although it was always about something in the fourth way as understood in the Fellowship. 

Often the topic would have been announced the week before so that students could make personal observations prior to the meeting in relation to some exercise or other than had been proposed. It might be, for example, some simple way of ‘interrupting sleep’ such as not saying ‘you know.’ Of course I would often forget. This, it was said, was the opportunity to awaken in that moment.

One’s observations would be presented as an angle. The idea of an angle is to get away from the idea that there is only one right point of view. Except for deliberate lies or misunderstandings of fact, every point of view is correct: it is just that each of us looks at a question from a different angle. Even so, someone’s genuine observation could easily evoke someone else’s opposite ‘I’s, the tendency we all have to see what is wrong with what another person is saying instead of trying to understand. Often disputes are merely about the imprecise use of words, or inferring some meaning that has not been intended. Sometimes what appear to be two opposite points of view are actually capable of both being true at the same time. School exercises at the time included substituting ‘and’ for ‘but’ and not giving opposite ‘I’s. Although logic was not mentioned, in fact this is usually perfectly consistent with formal logic. The contrary of ‘A’ is not ‘B,’ it is simply ‘not-A.’

At first I had to curb my own tendency to want to speak, as though my opinions were in a pressure cooker. In such a state it was difficult or impossible for me properly to understand what others were saying, and my opinion, expressed or not, remained unchanged and I learned nothing. I understood, though, that the London Centre was a place inimical to false personality, what one might call ‘ego.’ Once I let go of that I was able more often to rest in a state of essence. 

It was also a relief to me not to have to feel that I must make small-talk, and it was fine to remain silent. I still find that making small-talk requires effort, but it is part of what the Work calls external consideration, that is, considering the needs of others, and is therefore necessary sometimes. But in the Fellowship you can be silent and no-one feels uncomfortable because of this, as long as you acknowledge their presence. Words are sometimes a barrier to communication.

Something I remember from early meetings is the idea of creating memory. Someone would occasionally do something unexpected to create a state. Once for example, during a moment of silence, a student cut off a rosebud from the flower arrangement and ate it. Years later the idea of creating memory in this sort of way seemed to have been forgotten. I think we became a little stale, less experimental.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3.2: Influence C in the Fellowship

When I joined the Fellowship I never questioned its authenticity as a fourth way school. I simply accepted the rules, did the exercises and enjoyed the sense of being on a meaningful journey. I felt I was able to verify the teacher through the people around me and the teaching itself. At no point did the question of lineage arise as a problem for me. Once I was asked about it in a prospective student meeting and replied that the System came to our teacher through Rodney Collin and Alex Horn, Robert Burton’s teacher. After the meeting another student quite rightly said to me that we shouldn’t claim a connection with Rodney Collin because we don’t know this for certain. Lineage was always claimed by Robert Burton through Alex Horn, but it is not at all clear what connection Horn had with the fourth way of Gurdjieff and Ouspensky. There is a suggestion that Horn visited Collin in Mexico, but there is scant evidence that he stayed for any length of time or learned anything from him. Howeve

3.7: Centres of gravity and body types

You’re nothing but a pack of cards! —Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland  I do not recall reading anywhere in Gurdjieff’s or Ouspensky’s works the idea of body types or centres of gravity. The idea of body types appears to derive from Rodney Collin’s Theory of Celestial Influence and that of centres of gravity is, as far as I can tell, an innovation by Robert Burton, although I do not know for certain.  In essence both sets of ideas are peripheral to the aim of the fourth way, but they have their uses. Both sets of ideas provide a framework in which one can identify the mechanics of one’s ‘machine.’ This enables one better to understand one’s mechanical or automatic reactions to people and situations and thus become more forgiving and accepting of oneself and others.  The idea of centres of gravity appears to be an embellishment on the division of the body into head, heart and guts, or intellectual centre, emotional centre and instinctive-moving centre, which is discussed in In Search

3.3: The Fourth Way to what?

  If I were to formulate from today’s understanding what my aim was when I first joined SES at the age of seventeen, it would be to acquire a sense of peace and that clear state of awareness that went with it, and also the delight of understanding the world from a set of ideas that made it make sense. It is hard to accept that sometimes it doesn’t. Stepping back, what is the aim of the fourth way from the point of view of its basic texts? The most fundamental texts are arguably Ouspensky’s The Psychology of Man’s Possible Evolution and his In Search of the Miraculous , also Gurdjieff’s All and Everything .  Life is only real then, when I am starts with a summary of the intended results of Gurdjieff’s All and Everything , of which Life is the third series. The summary is as follows: FIRST SERIES: To destroy, mercilessly, without any compromises whatsoever, in the mentation and feelings of the reader, the beliefs and views, by centuries rooted in him, about everything existing in the