Skip to main content

2.4: Inside the Fellowship: Under a starry sky

I remember particularly my last-but-one visit to Apollo. It was late summer. My days were spent volunteering: sometimes in the kitchen but more often moving chairs and tables for outdoor events in sometimes sweltering heat. I would also attend Robert’s events, not only meetings but also dining events. 

For all of Robert’s events one would dress formally. There would be teaching breakfasts and teaching dinners at which smaller numbers of students were served excellent food by other students while listening to Robert talk. Relatively little food actually got eaten because it was understood that one did not eat while someone else was talking. Robert would do most of the talking, supplemented by occasional contributions from students when we felt called upon.

Somehow a magical atmosphere of peace was created from the moment one arrived. A student would be handing out glasses either of sparkling wine or orange juice depending on one’s choice, and one would wait under the palm trees, talking softly. It was possible also to wait in silence without embarrassment or tension. Everyone smiled. I never felt I had to smile, it just happened that way.

There was a very large outdoor dining event one evening. During the day I had been part of a large team of students from around the world setting out chairs and tables, fitting lamps in trees, and placing table cloths, cutlery and table decorations. I had time to go back to where I was staying, change into a dinner suit and return as a guest. It seemed that every visitor was there, one way or another. It was not long before the sun set and the night sky, free of light pollution, showed the Milky Way arcing across pure black. The air was warm and comforting. There was a very good mariachi band composed also of fellow students. Before any food was brought out a number of songs were played, with musician M. introducing each song with a translation in English from the original Spanish. These translations, delivered in M’s calm English accent, were amusingly quirky, as translations from a passionate culture into an English-speaking one can tend to be.

At each small table were some who knew each other and some who did not. Conversation was easy and not memorable, faces lit by candle-light and the light from the lamps in the trees. This atmosphere of gentle joy was what the school was particularly good at.

My last visit to Apollo was with my new wife, who was also a member at that time, but was new to the school. Robert sent a student to check her out and presumably report back. The student was very sweet, but I never understood the purpose of that encounter. It may be of relevance that over the years I had been a consistent and significant contributor in terms of membership payments. I think I was important, but not very important.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3.2: Influence C in the Fellowship

When I joined the Fellowship I never questioned its authenticity as a fourth way school. I simply accepted the rules, did the exercises and enjoyed the sense of being on a meaningful journey. I felt I was able to verify the teacher through the people around me and the teaching itself. At no point did the question of lineage arise as a problem for me. Once I was asked about it in a prospective student meeting and replied that the System came to our teacher through Rodney Collin and Alex Horn, Robert Burton’s teacher. After the meeting another student quite rightly said to me that we shouldn’t claim a connection with Rodney Collin because we don’t know this for certain. Lineage was always claimed by Robert Burton through Alex Horn, but it is not at all clear what connection Horn had with the fourth way of Gurdjieff and Ouspensky. There is a suggestion that Horn visited Collin in Mexico, but there is scant evidence that he stayed for any length of time or learned anything from him. Howeve

3.7: Centres of gravity and body types

You’re nothing but a pack of cards! —Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland  I do not recall reading anywhere in Gurdjieff’s or Ouspensky’s works the idea of body types or centres of gravity. The idea of body types appears to derive from Rodney Collin’s Theory of Celestial Influence and that of centres of gravity is, as far as I can tell, an innovation by Robert Burton, although I do not know for certain.  In essence both sets of ideas are peripheral to the aim of the fourth way, but they have their uses. Both sets of ideas provide a framework in which one can identify the mechanics of one’s ‘machine.’ This enables one better to understand one’s mechanical or automatic reactions to people and situations and thus become more forgiving and accepting of oneself and others.  The idea of centres of gravity appears to be an embellishment on the division of the body into head, heart and guts, or intellectual centre, emotional centre and instinctive-moving centre, which is discussed in In Search

3.3: The Fourth Way to what?

  If I were to formulate from today’s understanding what my aim was when I first joined SES at the age of seventeen, it would be to acquire a sense of peace and that clear state of awareness that went with it, and also the delight of understanding the world from a set of ideas that made it make sense. It is hard to accept that sometimes it doesn’t. Stepping back, what is the aim of the fourth way from the point of view of its basic texts? The most fundamental texts are arguably Ouspensky’s The Psychology of Man’s Possible Evolution and his In Search of the Miraculous , also Gurdjieff’s All and Everything .  Life is only real then, when I am starts with a summary of the intended results of Gurdjieff’s All and Everything , of which Life is the third series. The summary is as follows: FIRST SERIES: To destroy, mercilessly, without any compromises whatsoever, in the mentation and feelings of the reader, the beliefs and views, by centuries rooted in him, about everything existing in the